Slip Fall – Am I covered in a public place such as a footpath

If you suffer a fall in a public place or at work, it can be a very distressing and humiliating event which often results in suffering a serious injury.

Everyday Australians are injured  as a result of a slip, trip or fall. All shops, work places, restaurants and other public and private venues or associations have a duty to ensure that their premises are safe for their visitors and customers.

Local council authorities also have a duty to make sure that the pavements and roads are maintained to a reasonable standard and do not present a hazard to pedestrians and other users.

However, throughout the country, breaches of these duties result in a number of injuries occurring from tripping and slipping on pavements and other surfaces including:

• Raised paving flags
• Broken and uneven tarmac
• Uncovered potholes and manholes
• Broken curb stones
• Uneven surfaces
• Worn and frayed carpets
• Liquid on shop and restaurant floors
• Food spillages
• Unattended wires and cables
• Slippery or uneven flooring in Shopping Centres and supermarkets
• Dangerous or messy building and construction development sites

If you have sustained personal injury as a result of a fall, then you should seek urgent advice in regards to your compensation entitlements. By visiting our Free Case Review page, GC Law can help you pursue a claim for personal injuries and ensure that you receive the proper compensation you may be entitled to for pain and suffering and any financial losses you may have had, including any loss of earnings.

There are some important points to keep in mind though, if you or someone you know of, such as family or friends, has suffered personal injuries as a result of a slip, a trip or a fall:

• Try and take photographs of the area where you fell as soon as possible after the injury
• Make a note of the contact details of any witness to your slip, trip or fall
• If the fall was on a pavement, speak to local residents and see if any of them have reported the defect
• If the fall was in a restaurant or shop, make sure you report the matter to a member of staff, or security, before you leave the premises
• Seek immediate legal help and assistance regarding your rights to claim compensation.

Slips, trips and falls do occur in almost any location. Some of the most common locations include:

Shopping Centre & Supermarkets.

There are many different types of injuries that occur from accidents in shopping centres and supermarkets. When you walk into a shop or supermarket, you enter business premises owned or rented by the business. The business is responsible for accidents caused on their grounds, so if you have suffered from a slip, trip or fall while shopping then you could be entitled to significant compensation.

Injuries can occur in shopping centres where the floor is slippery or there are objects on the floor causing the floor to be in a hazardous condition. General accidents can also occur as you walk around a shopping aisle and your clothing gets trapped on the shop floor fittings causing you to trip or slip straight onto the shopping cart and to the ground.

It’s common when someone slips or falls, that the first thing they do is look around to see who’s watching. Then to save the embarrassment they may get up and simply walk away, like nothing had happened. In this case you need to stop, turn around and have a look at what caused them to fall and if possible, get the name and number of any witness.

If this is not done, do not worry, the chances are that we may still be able to help you pursue your legal entitlements, without any hassles.

Remember, no matter how trivial the accident is, making a claim helps  to compensate you for the non full health that resulted from the accident.

If you have suffered an accident such as a slip, trip or fall, then you should investigate whether you can claim compensation by completing our Free Case Review Form.

Public footpaths and Private walkways.

Some of the most common accidents occur on public or private grounds.  General slip, trip and falls occur every day on both public footpaths and private walkways.

Personal injuries can also occur as a result of the following:

• Uneven stones, pavements, footpaths
• Protruding tree roots
• Holes in tarmac
• Holes and crack in concrete and other surfaces
• Poor street lighting
• Damaged fences or lose barb wiring
• Inadequate warning signs
• Unguarded work by contractors
• Slips on dangerous, polished or wet surfaces
• Slips down stairs that are in poor condition or in a dangerous position
• Fall in obstructed walkways, stairs or corridors

Local authorities are liable for public spots and businesses are responsible for their business premises. All businesses should have public liability insurance policies which should cover your claim. So if you have suffered personal injuries as a result of an accident that occurred on either public or private property, you should consider making a claim for compensation.

In order to find out whether you are entitled to claim compensation for your personal injuries all you need to do is visit our Free Case Review page or call GC Law direct on 1300 302 318.

Get in touch