Skip to main content

Some Tips On Reporting A Car Accident To Police.

Police are only required to attend the scene of a car accident if there is an emergency or the following are features of the accident:-

1. A death or an injury has occurred; or
2. A hazardous environment or threat to public safety exists, like a fuel spill or power lines are down.

Police have a discretion to investigate traffic accidents in cases where there is a compelling public interest to do so. For example, crashes involving the dangerous operation of a motor vehicle or where there may be significant damage caused to public infrastructure.

If a driver involved in a traffic crash refuses to provide their name, address and registration number you can call Policelink on 131 444 who will determine if police attendance is required.

If you have reason to believe another involved driver is unlicensed or is acting suspiciously, you can also call Policelink on 131 444 for assistance. Even if you have left a crash site, and later find out that false details were supplied by another driver, then report the matter to a police station and police will make further inquiries and investigate where appropriate.

Police will not make arrangements for towing vehicles from a crash scene. You will need to contact a towing company directly if it is required.

You are entitled to have your vehicle towed by a towing company of your choice. If you have concerns about the behaviour of a tow truck driver you can contact Policelink on 131 444 for assistance.

A traffic crash must be reported to police within 24 hours after the crash. The Department of Transport uses crash data to develop road safety campaigns, monitor vehicle standards and improve road infrastructure, with the aim of providing a safer driving environment for all Queensland motorists.

If you’ve been injured in a car accident and need some good advice on where you stand then contact us for free no obligation advice by one of our expert lawyers.

Get in touch