Skip to main content

What Type of Compensation Can I Claim for a Car Accident?

By 10 December 2013News & Articles

Accident compensation

Compensation is paid by an insurance company that manages car accident insurance claims. Insurance companies often seek advice from their own lawyers as to whether they should either accept a claim and or the amount of compensation to be paid.

It is most important, that should you be involved in an accident, you obtain advice from your own lawyers to make sure that you are aware of all the benefits or lump sum compensation payments available to you and that you are protected from some of the tactics used to avoid or under pay a claim.

The insurance company will not nor cannot provide you with independent advice.

It is not advisable for you to try and make your own assessment as to whether you can claim compensation or not.  Only an experienced lawyer can advise you of your potential to claim compensation, the process involved in starting a claim and what level of compensation you may be entitled to.

How Can I afford the legal fees?

GC Law is No Win No Fee, and this is available for car accident compensation claims.

This means you do not pay for legal or professional fees unless your case is successful.

If we don’t win you don’t pay. We have decided to act on behalf of clients in this way as often financial circumstances don’t allow you access to legal representation and stop you from claiming what could be rightfully yours.

Making an additional claim

Another area we can advise you on is claiming making a claim against your superannuation. If you sustain an injury, you may be able to access a lump sum payment through your super policy. A number of people are not aware that their superannuation policy provides additional benefits. Experienced superannuation and insurance lawyers such as GC Law, will assist you in identifying if benefits exist in your policy and we’ll submit an application on your behalf.

Should your application be rejected, one of our lawyers will advise you of the process for challenging the decision.

In addition, you may have a personal insurance policy, such as life insurance, income protection insurance, sickness and accident insurance, which may include provisions for compensation if you injured in an accident.

There may be other benefits available to you so we suggest you seek legal advice from a GC Law lawyer to determine your entitlement to claim compensation.

Additional lump sum benefit

Many superannuation funds provide coverage for a disability insurance benefit, often referred to as a Total Permanent Disability (TPD) benefit, click on the article headline to read our article on this.
TPD, if provided under your superannuation, is a benefit additional to the contributions that you and/or your employer have made to your superannuation fund during the period of your membership. Most people are unaware that this insurance cover is in place.

Depending on the type or terms of your insurance cover, a TPD benefit may be significant and may help ease the financial burden facing you during the difficult times that follow a disability.

In most cases it does not matter how you sustained your injury or illness; just that you are suffering from a total and permanent disability or illness. People on workers’ compensation, motor vehicle injury compensation or a Centrelink Disability Support Pension can claim as well as people who suffer an unexpected illness that prevents them from working.

Making a claim for a superannuation disability benefit will depend on a number of factors – particularly, whether this insurance cover is provided under your superannuation. If you do suffer from any injury or illness that prevents you from working in your normal occupation then contact GC Law today as we can help you.

Talk to us

If you, a close friend or family member has been injured or bereaved as a result of a car or transport accident and you would like more information on how we can help, please contact us either by using our Free Case Review page on our web site or by calling 1300 302 318.

Get in touch